Wasatch Fencing Safety Policies
Wasatch Fencing is committed to creating a safe and positive environment for athletes’ physical, emotional, and social development and ensuring that it promotes an environment free of misconduct. We fully participate in the U.S. Center for SafeSport program.
We are committed to improving the development and safety of athletes and participants involved in sport. Unfortunately, sport can be a high-risk environment for misconduct, including child physical and sexual abuse. While child physical and sexual abuse is one type of misconduct, it is important to remember that this policy covers many inappropriate behaviors that do not involve children at all. This policy applies regardless of the ages of the individuals involved in the alleged activity.
Six primary types of misconduct addressed in the SafeSport Policy:
- Sexual Misconduct, including Child Sexual Abuse
- Emotional Misconduct
- Physical Misconduct
Parents, you are part of this team. Following are some resources to help increase your awareness and to provide you with tools to protect our athletes and create a positive sport experience. https://www.usafencing.org/safesport-parents
Some General Safe Sport Safety Policies
- There must be 2 adults in our facility at all times. We ask that parents/guardians always check to make sure there are 2 adults before leaving a minor child.
- Report any bulling, hazing, sexual harassment or abuse issues or any other inappropriate activities.
- All reports of child abuse will be reported to authorities under guidance of Utah laws.
- Coaches/volunteers may never give rides to fencers under the age of 18.
- Coaches/volunteers may never meet with any fencer in a private location or behind closed doors.
- All coaches/volunteers have a current background check via United States Fencing and hold current certification
from the U.S. Center for SafeSport.
COVID-19 Protection Policies (updated June 1, 2021)
- For fully vaccinated individuals, masks are not required. Individuals that are not fully vaccinated must wear a mask.
- We ask that you avoid physical contact as much as possible (handshaking, hugging, etc.) and use hand sanitizer when entering and leaving our facility.
- Please do not come to the club if you are not feeling well (cough, sneezing, fever, sore throat, etc.)
- Fencers must take their personal equipment home with them after each practice. No equipment may be stored in lockers until the state status is “green.”
- Club equipment used by fencers must be put in the “Sanitation Bin” after each practice.
- Any person who is diagnosed with COVID-19 and has been in our facility must inform Ron Hendricks within 8-hours by texting 801-540-8682 or emailing email@example.com
General Safety Policies
- Never point a weapon at anyone, unless they have, at minimum, a mask on and are prepared to participate in a drill or lesson.
- Never bout unless each participant is wearing a mask, glove, jacket, half jacket, chest protector and long pants.
- Fencer will always follow the instructions of the coach.